Thursday 7 January 2010

Still Snowing


Think we've got it bad? I've just been reading H.E.Bates account of the Great Snow of 1939/40. If there wasn't enough strife going on at that time, the weather really didn't help. The snow started just before Christmas and went on until March. I remember as a boy living in East Kent, we always had a bout of heavy snow most winters. Snow fences were erected to stop the lanes from filling with snow. Somehow, we seemed to get about, the trains worked and people, in the main, got to work. What's happened since then. Too many winters without significant snowfall and a distinct lack of the pioneer spirit. Even Norman has curtailed his 'bird watching', spending most of his day next me and my computer, with his friend Louis. I think the comment of 'All Breeding but no class' applies the picture



2 comments:

  1. That cat is shameless! I well remember those snows and yes, we mostly got out and about, despite the drifts. But that was before Health and Safety and Risk Assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you remember the winter of '63 in the fens, Tim, when you were at KSE? I remember someone driving their Landrover on the Ouse from Ely towards Cambridge. I also remember a boy in my dormitory turfing out his hot water bottle and leaving it beside his bed and then finding that it was solid in the morning!

    ReplyDelete